Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Prayer

I know Owen is still pretty young and has yet to understand that the world doesn't revolve around him, however he never ceases to amaze me. Between temper tantrums and "stop it mommy!", small slivers of what I consider greatness find there way out of his small heart and mouth. If you can't tell already...I'm about to brag about my son...sorry I'm just so proud of him!

My prayer for Owen is that he would be a man of compassion that he would treat others with the importance and value God has created them with. So how do you teach an almost two year old that other people have value? Beats me...I try my best to recognize needs in people we encounter. If we hear a baby crying in the store I say to Owen, "Oh no! Do you hear? That baby is sad. He is crying." We also pray, Owen and I. Well, actually, I do the praying...Owen just shouts a big, "AMEN!" at the end. But last night, it was different. We were laying in my bed together and I was praying out loud for a friend. I finish and hear these small whispers from Owen, "whisper, whisper...Elijah...more whispers...baby Saiah...whispers...AMEN!" He said his own prayer for his very dear friends! I couldn't be more proud of him. So this is how my son will learn compassion for others...by talking to God and watching me talk to God.

You might think that this is a no brainer...that I would have figured this out a long time ago...that the best way to teach my son the things I want him to learn is to SHOW him and introduce him to his Heavenly Father. Well, friends, I didn't. Sorry. I never thought I would learn so much from such a young teacher. Little eyes are always watching and learning. So...I need to be more purposeful about what I am doing.

1 comment:

Julie Snell said...

Two things:
1.) I love that you finally blogged, I have been dying to hear a little Owen story!

2.) I love that Owen is seeing God through you and learning how to interact with God by watching you.